Saturday, November 7, 2009

The BEAST's Castle

Here's something we've never seen before (unless you worked on the film)- the complete vertical pan background of the Beast's castle from BEAUTY AND THE BEAST.

This magnificent background art was incredibly difficult to re-assemble. The artists used digital layer multiplane effects. Panning from the bottom up, the gargoyles and statuary in front moved, as did layers of the castle, and clouds in the stormy sky!

Using Photoshop, I cut, pasted, layered and matched, re-creating the stunning artwork you see here.

To be perfectly honest, it's really unfinished. Although essentially complete, there are a couple of very small areas I'll come back and finish one day. In the meantime, I think the results are so incredible I decided to share it with you as a "work in progress."

BTW, the severely angled elements near the left top are positioned exactly as created by the artist and shown in the film. Being a pan shot, this creates some additional visual tension and drama.

I hope you'll enjoy it "as is!"

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This may seem rude, but why is it tilted? is a a mistake? are was there a specific purpose?

waterboy100 said...

i think that it is because of the way he stitched the images together to make the composite

ROB RICHARDS said...

It is not tilted by me! The composited image is exactly how the artist created it.

The pan in the film is straight up from bottom to top.

Ashley said...

I'm going to have to pull the movie out and watch that pan. I'm fascinated that they deliberately tilted the top that much.

Unknown said...

either way it's pretty strange Ashley's got the right idea. but I don't have this on DVD.

Peach M said...

If you look at lots of Disney movies, tilting or warping pans is common. My favourite one is from pinocchio: http://one1more2time3.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/pino-opening-a.jpg
It's one of my favs

yanmaneee said...

balenciaga shoes
jordan 11
golden goose mid star
nike air max
jordans
kd 11
kyrie 4
supreme shirt
golden goose shoes
curry 7

Unknown said...

anonymous luxury replica bags i loved this Dolabuy YSL discover this info here replica designer bags wholesale