Saturday, September 6, 2008

The New Three Stooges (Cambria, 1965-66)


"Hey, Moe! Hey, Larry!!!"

I usually limit the posts on our blog to background art from great artists and major studios, usually Disney.

Today is a rather bizarre exception...

"The New Three Stooges" was animated at Cambria Studios, a small studio once located in West Hollywood.

Despite operating on a shoestring budget, the studio was able to produce series which are fondly remembered for their imaginative and entertaining storylines, and for their inventive ways of compensating for budgetary limitations. Remember "Clutch Cargo?"

The wildly successful TV screening of vintage Three Stooges shorts created a new children's audience desperate for more from the eye-poking trio. So "The New Three Stooges" was born, which featured new animated segments as well as live action vignettes by original stooges Moe Howard and Larry Fine along with third Stooge "Curly Joe."

I had frankly forgotten I'd picked up a DVD of the series. When unpacking a box of DVDs after my recent move, I stumbled across this by accident.

The first cartoon I watched was "Let's Shoot The Piano Player." The ultra-limited animation is strictly kids' stuff, but there are some cute bits quite reminiscent of the Columbia films. (Did you know Moe Howard came up with most of the ideas for the original Stooges films?)

I was struck by the simple but eye-catching Old West design of this opening pan shot. It's lean but charismatic, don't you think?

I have broken up the pan B/G into right and left sections, as well as the final frame of the "No Chance Saloon," so you can take a better look.

Background artists for the series were Gloria Wood, Bob Inman and Bill Butler.

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!!! (OK, I just had to get that out of my system...)




4 comments:

David de Rooij said...

Beautiful! Can you please post more of this?? I'm looking for more western cartoon backgrounds!

Anonymous said...

Hey your blog is so nice, honestly I liked it. Well I want to tell you that I just watched the new movie "The Three stooges" and trust me guys I loved this movie. I think it is the best funniest movie of this year. This movie is the ultimate entertainment for all the viewers.
You should watch the three stooges movie and I bet you will enjoy it.

AKPuran Gaming said...

Everything is fine, am happy of your blog. Thanks admin for sharing the unique content, you have done a great job I appreciate your effort and I hope you will get more positive comments from the web users.
kizi daily, juegos friv al , friv 30 game

Gawe Sare said...

This is one article that I find very interesting
many things that are really useful for me
maybe I will visit your blog again to find other unique information about

Cara Menghilangkan Nyeri Pinggang Cara Menyembuhkan ISK Cara Mengatasi Nyeri Dada Sebelah Kiri Cara Mengatasi Kulit Kering & Bersisik Pada Selangkangan Secara Alami Cara Menyembuhkan Rhinitis Secara Alami Cara Alami Mengatasi Payudara Bengkak & Nyeri Benjolan Di Penis Obat Gabagen Cara Mengatasi Campak Pada Anak Secara Alami Cara Menyembuhkan Sangkadi